Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Writing the script

My father suggested me that I should write the script before creating any storyboard so I know better what is going to be said and more of the specifics.
I know that the script format doesn't have to be exact, but I like to be as precise as possible, so I looked up a tutorial in how to write movie scripts. https://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/. As I began writing the script, I felt creativity flow through me. I did not expect so many ideas to come to me so easily as I feared that doing this project alone would deprive me of creative ideas.
Thinking about my character's names wasn't so hard. Jane came to me because I just have a feeling that that should be the name. No reason at all, it just sounded right to me. Rosie Brooks came up because my classmate helped me pick a name out, and she said Josie Brooks, but since the main character's name already starts with a J, I modified it to be Rosie instead of Josie. I picked Richard for the evil step-father because Richard sounds to me like someone unlikable.
After thinking I was done with the script, I called my dad again so he could give me some advice on whether I should fix it or leave it how it is. He gave me many tips on scriptwriting. As we facetimed, he gave me tips and I was jotting down notes on my computer. He told me that the script doesn't have to be so technical (unless the teacher wants me to). That rather, I should leave the cinematic technicality to the storyboard. Things such as music, shot angles and directions, and pans should be put on the storyboard for more of a visual guide. Instead, the script should contain more poetic writing to guide the emotions of the characters for the actors, while still describing action and direction.
After taking about scripts for about an hour with my father, I modified the script and finally have it done. However, keep in mind I will probably modify the script again as ideas are always changing and flowing.

Here is my script before revision with my dad.



Afterwards:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection

Hello! My name is Mariana Gamboa and I am the creator of film “Stolen Gardens”, a moving drama and romance. My film follows the story of ...